Focus group, workshop and discussion groups. Are they the same? What are the differences?
Qualitative Research techniques
Being very assertive I must say that a focus group, a workshop or a discussion group is not the same, #asitis. The objective that I pursue in this post is to contribute my bit to the fact of clarifying how these techniques that are part of qualitative research differ. Will not go into depth on how can we successfully carry out each one of them since we will tell it in following posts, but we will make clear what it is, what results are obtained and if they have any special characteristics.
- Two-way sessions in which the group discusses from the observation of the dynamics performed by another group
- Sessions with dual moderator: in these there are two moderators with different missions; one has the mission of smooth the development of the session and the other the full development of the session
- Sessions with faced moderators, in this case, the moderators will give rise to two completely different points of view of the same subject to generate the debate among the participants
- Sessions with moderating participants where a participant will temporarily act as moderator
- Sessions with client integration: in this case transparently or not, there will be one or more participants of the client to provide their point of view in the session
- Online sessions in this case the exchange of opinions will be done online
- Sessions by videoconference: in this case will establish remote connection of audio and video between the members to carry out the session
- Mini sessions where only a maximum of 5 participants will attend
- The focus groups consist of carrying out a collection of information of the real users, for once analyzed and organized to be able to generate ideas on which to work strategies, hypotheses or possible paths.
- The workshops can be of two types: the formative ones that are based on offering a theoretical formation with practical application in which the result is the exhibition of the practical work carried out by the assistants and those that are sessions of work with the client in which It works jointly on hypotheses raised extracting unique conclusions on the paths that best fit with the business and its possible evolution.
- The discussion groups consist in carrying out a debate between users with the same characteristics on a specific topic, treating it from general points to specific points, its result is a single and consensual group discourse.
Subscribe to our newsletter
17 January 2019
Customer journey maps are nothing more than a technique that is applied within the DCU method (user-centered design) and that is mainly...
11 October 2018
Insurance Study. The experience of signing through mobile phone Few days ago we participated in the first edition of the SADE DIGITAL FORUM, an initiative that aims to become a space for debate, innovation, generation and ideas exchange about...